Did you know Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. are only 5′ 7″ tall? Or Lady Gaga and Vanessa Hudgens are only 5′ 1″ tall?
Don’t they appear much taller than they actually are?
Surely, the expensive custom suits and dresses help them look taller.
But the reason for their deceptively tall look is because they know what to wear and how to wear it.
Now it is about time for the average person to get in on these Hollywood secret fashion tips to look taller.
Fashion Tips To Look Taller
- Choose slim, skinny, or classic fit. Loose or baggy will make you look wider and shorter.
- Avoid full pockets or anything that causes looseness or puckering around the hips.
- Low rise pants will make your legs look shorter and wearing pants too high will make your torso look shorter so pants should fit just above your hips
- Avoid turtlenecks like the plague! These hide your neck and make you look stumpy.
- Tucking in your shirt emphasizes your legs so if you have short legs, don’t tuck in your shirt!
- Always wear form fitting shirts. Loose shirts will make you look like a box.
- V-necks make your torso look longer so you should have plenty in your wardrobe.
- Opt for bigger, bulkier styles of shoes like boots because they will make your feet bigger and consequently, you will appear taller.
- High heels are fine but you may want to be discrete in gaining inches to your height. So consider using hidden height increasing insoles.
- Go for tighter form fitting jackets. These will make you look slimmer and longer.
- Jackets should fall slightly below the buttocks.
- Do not wear blazers with more than 3 buttons. Besides being bad fashion, this will make you look shorter
- Wear vertical patterns such as pinstripes, herringbone, and chalkstripes. Vertical patterns elongates your body and gives the illusion of being longer.
- Avoid designs and patterns such as plaid, checked, or any other pattern that breaks up the vertical effect.
- Your top and bottom should be the same color or the closest shade possible. This will prevent breaks in your body which gives the illusion of one long, fluid body.
- Dark colors, especially black, has a slimming effect that helps chubbier people appear slimmer and shorter people longer.
- When shopping, choose lighter fabrics. Heavier fabrics tend to make you look bulky, wide, and short.
When optimizing your wardrobe to look taller, fit is probably the most important aspect. Avoid baggy, loose clothing at all costs! Rather, go for form fitting, slim styles. Of course, it helps tremendously if you are fit and slim in the first place. If you cannot find the right fit, getting your clothes custom tailored is a viable option and one that should be taken advantage of. Lastly, how tall you appear is in the eye of the beholder, so if you carry yourself tall and confident, you will appear taller.
AND SOME: more ways to grow taller